Sunday, June 6, 2010

More of What We Cook on Cape Cod...

This Friday, The Cape Codder came out with a great article on me and my new novel, Summer Shift, and the reporter, Laurie Higgins, was nice enough to mention this blog and some recent postings, one of which were recipes from this ancient (1916) Cape Cod cookbook I found, entitled What We Cook on Cape Cod by Amy Littlefield Handy. For those interested, I thought I’d post a few more recipes.

First off, check out the recipe titles, like "Codfish Chops" and "Oyster Shortcake." And I love the simplicity of ingredients. Butter, butter and more butter. Another thing notable, especially for the seafood recipes, is how plentiful and inexpensive everything must’ve been back then. They’d think nothing of making soup out of lobster or serving up oysters on toast. But what I love most of all is the comfort food aspect, the butter-eggs-and-cream crackery goodness, just like great-grandma would have made (had she been from Cape Cod and not Austria, hell bent on sauerkraut and bratwurst….oh well.)

2 comments:

Alex de Frondeville said...

Wish I liked seafood. Sigh...

Mammabear said...

you are makin me HOMESICK!! YUMSS